two lots of cycling, a walk, and some overpriced Pimm's

The final weekend of July (a five weekend month!) was a busy one, even by my standards.

On Friday evening I headed over to see the parents, who provided food and a lift into town so I could see the mighty Goldie Lookin' Chain playing the festival.  Which was generally rather entertaining.  I was less amused at the cost of a small cup of Pimm's from the bar mind you...

On Saturday I ticked off a bit more of the Wye.  Monmouth to Symonds Yat (and back again), on my bike via the Peregrine Path.  A really nice cycle route actually - it follows the path of an old railway line along the river bank, lacking in any real inclines or difficult terrain.  Definitely recommended for a nice (half?)day out.

Monmouth - Symonds Yat mile post

I wasn't exactly hanging around though - about 1hr 40 in total, including a quick stop in the Saracen's Head for a drink and a stamp in my passport.  I lost count of how many other cyclists and walkers I overtook, and was back in time for lunch :)

After lunch I cleaned both bike and car (neither of these happens often enough), and stopped off in the Forest on my way home for a quick blast around the new mountain bike trail - the Verderer's Trail, rated blue with a red ending.

I'd heard nothing but good things from various mates who'd already ridden it, as well as random people on the internet.  And they're right!  Whilst it may "only" be blue (fine by me, I hate scary biking), it's awesome fun.  Bumps, berms, and general friendly fun :D

Hampered slightly by the gears on my bike playing up :( Rear derailleur refusing to shift onto the two smallest cogs, plus occasional annoying spontaneous gear changes and slipping.  Not ideal, but I'd paid for my parking so wasn't about to admit defeat and go home.. Instead I took it easy (ie slowly), walked a few bits, and limped around 10k of trail in 92 minutes.  But not to worry, I will be back and this time will be improved on!

Detailed investigation when I got home revealed a nicely frayed and mangled gear cable outer, so I guess something got bashed when cleaning/throwing in and out of the car.  oops.  More on that later though.

Anyway, that was Saturday.. I'd not planned anything for Sunday other than vegging out and possibly doing some housework, so was only too pleased to tootle up to the Malverns when Abi complained of being bored and needing something to do.

We went for a 7km walk along the top from Wyche to British Camp, a brief ice cream stop, then a wander around British Camp itself.  Lovely!


No Comments

Add a new comment