Obligatory 'About' page
Hello, I'm Katy Welcome to my little corner of the internet.
I'm in my early 30s and live in Gloucestershire with my partner and a slightly spoilt dog.
By day, I write software - most of my experience is in back end web development, as well as server administration. I have a soft spot for open source, and have been running Linux as my main (only) operating system since 2004. I also own more Raspberry Pis than I know what to do with. Yes, I realise this makes me a bit of a geek!
However, I've learnt the hard way that spending all day every day staring at a computer screen isn't good for me. Without getting into too much detail - depression, anxiety and stress are no fun.
This site mostly reflects my other passion in life - the Great Outdoors. Something I've been passionate about for almost my entire life. I was a Scout when I was younger and have many happy (muddy, wet) memories from camps and hikes.
Currently, the list of activities looks a bit like this:
- Cycling - Possibly my favourite at the moment. I have a road bike and a hardtail mountain bike.
- Kayaking - I started doing this properly when I was studying for my MSc. It used to be bordering on obsession, but now I don't get out as much because I spend my time doing other things instead!
- Walking - the 'easy'/obvious one, hah. I did most of the Wye Valley Walk a few years ago. I also like bagging trigpoints.
- Running - this one is definitely a love/hate relationship, bleh. As of end 2016 I've done 21 parkruns and two 10k races (plus two ridiculous mud runs)
- Climbing - on/off (mostly off, boo) since I was 14. Haven't been recently due to lack of time/climbing buddies.
- Skiing - A relatively new addition to the 'expensive hobby' list
Doing a million things doesn't really leave time to get 'good' at any one of them, but that's fine by me