Obligatory 'About' page
Hello, I'm Katy Welcome to my little corner of the internet.
I'm in my early 30s and live in Gloucestershire with my partner and two slightly spoilt dogs.
By day, I write software - most of my experience is in back end web development, as well as server administration. I have a soft spot for open source, and have been running Linux as my main (only) operating system since 2004. I also own more Raspberry Pis than I know what to do with. Yes, I realise this makes me a bit of a geek!
However, I've learnt the hard way that spending all day every day staring at a computer screen isn't good for me. Without getting into too much detail - depression, anxiety and stress are no fun.
This site mostly reflects my other passion in life - the Great Outdoors. Something I've been passionate about for almost my entire life. I was a Scout when I was younger and have many happy (muddy, wet) memories from camps and hikes.
Currently, the list of activities looks a bit like this:
- Cycling - Possibly my favourite at the moment. I have a road bike and a hardtail mountain bike.
- Kayaking - I started doing this properly when I was studying for my MSc. It used to be bordering on obsession, but now I don't get out as much because I spend my time doing other things instead!
- Walking - the 'easy'/obvious one, hah. I did most of the Wye Valley Walk a few years ago. I also like bagging trigpoints.
- Running - this one is definitely a love/hate relationship! As of end 2017 I've done 23 parkruns and three 10k races (plus two ridiculous mud runs which were mostly walking)
- Climbing - on/off (mostly off, boo) since I was 14. Haven't been recently due to lack of time/climbing buddies.
- Skiing - A relatively new addition to the 'expensive hobby' list
Doing a million things doesn't really leave time to get 'good' at any one of them, but that's fine by me